Me, Myself, and I - That You Don't YET Know

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Here's something you can spend some time thinking about...

I've been reading a lot of books lately.. and by that i mean A LOT.
I guess that's because I have more free time on my hands now.
One of the books was called Mitch Albom - The Five People You Meet In Heaven.
A friend of mine actually recommended another book by him, but after reading the summaries written on the back covers, I decided that I'll read this one first.
All in all, it's a very good book.. I really liked it
Anyway.. the purpose of this post is not to promote the book.. and No, I have not been secretly recruited as their newest salesperson to bump up their sales.
It is this particular paragraph written on the first page of the book that I wanted to talk about:

"Everyone has an idea of heaven, as do most religions, and they should all be respected. The version represented here is only a guess, a wish, in some ways, that my uncle, and others like him - people who felt unimportant here on earth - realise, finally, how much they mattered and how they were loved"


I really like this paragraph... for a number of reasons
Have you ever thought about your own death? I mean.. I have never actually thought about it.. not that I'm scared of it. Actually, I wouldn't know. I guess it's one of those things that I'd rather not think about.. one of those things I'd rather brush aside.. One of those topics that I'm afraid that if I start thinking about it, I'll open up the doors to many other emotional things, to many questions which is quite impossible to find the answers to.

But what I HAVE thought about is this.. what if i die? would it make any difference at all?
Have I done anything that can be remotely considered as important? Have I actually made an impact to this world? to other people - strangers or otherwise?
Many times I would come up with 'no, probably not'
Then I start asking other questions.. if i die, will people feel sad? how many are actually gonna miss me? or is it going to be the case where one hears the news from another and immediately dismiss it by saying 'oh really? that's awful.. hey what are you doing tonight?'
how many are going to turn up to the funeral? how are they going to find out in the first place?
i mean.. admit it.. there are some people we know - who don't hang out in our "group of buddies" or see 5 days a week at our place of work that they'll actually realise if we don't turn up to work for 3 straight days - but we'd like to consider them as part of our lives.. to know know that they care, that they'll turn up to our funeral.. how are they going to find out?
Seriously.. do people read obituaries nowadays? as a matter of fact, do people actually physically read newspapers nowadays?

Anyway.. this post is quite different from my previous entries
Lately it's just some random post.. of jokes or riddles or quiz results
These things have actually crossed my mind before.. like u know.. before u fall asleep.. that's when u think about things the most - random/otherwise.. thats when great/stupid ideas come surfacing.. and this train of thought was one of them.
But when I read that paragraph... it's like... "wow.. i bet there are more people like me out there who thinks about this stuff".
So yeah.. after reading this post.. I can assure you that i'm not turning into a philosopher .. or any kind of a thinker of any kind.. believe me.. - actually.. those of u that have known me for quite some time now will probably have realised this by now - I'm not that sophisticated of a person
LOL

2 Comments:

Blogger Yosua Mahardika Putra said...

Ehm. Here we go:
1. Have I ever thought of my own death? HAH! Darling, I even know what kind of song (including what choir to sing it) will be sang in my funeral! OF COURSE I'VE THOUGHT ABOUT IT. As a matter of fact, I kinda excited about it. Jyahaha.
2. Do u sincerely want the people to be sad? Well, perhaps most of us will. But, I don't know. See. If I'm dead. I want the people to be sad just for that single day and live their life as usual the very next day as if I never exists and continue their life. That way, I felt that I left no burden unresolved.
3. Yes, I read newspaper online, and yes, I read the obituaries every now and then (you know, I don't know most of the people I see there, so I would stumble upon the obituary only and if only I saw someone familiar).
4. I know. You have a bigger chance to become a Harry Potter or a stone than to become a philosopher. Jyahaha. Take it easy, mate.

PS: Had I know you would think this much because of that book, I would've recommend it earlier. (Or never at all?--hmm...)

12:22 am

 
Blogger Tuxedo_Snoopy said...

2. Well i wish i could be a more noble person and say i want people to move on very quickly and act as if nothing has happened the very next day. But i can't.
Them being sad means they care about me, they care that i existed - or in this case, that i don't exist anymore.
But yes, of course i want them to move on.. eventually.. but not the very next day. because that just means that i'm just a stranger that happens to cross paths with them during their time on earth.

3. my point exactly.. ppl read the news from the online newspapers nowadays. and no, scanning the page for a familiar picture doesn't constitute 'reading the obituaries'

4. yea.. i think i have a bigger chance of becoming a stone..

P.S. what r u saying?? that i'm not sophisticated enuf to read a book and takes its meaning ? LOL

12:32 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home